Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Baked French Toast



I've been trying to get into baking bread and for some reason, it just doesn't ever come out as awesome as I would have liked it, which is why I hardly ever muster enough energy to make bread. I do get little bursts once in a while, convincing myself that this time when I bake bread that it would come out flawless. I always get disappointed but that's life, right? Without those high highs and low lows, life would be boring.



This past Friday was one of those moments. I committed making a delicious Cinnamon Sugar Challah bread, and nothing was going to stop me.Unfortunately, reality did. :) It didn't come out as fluffy as Challah should. Even my boyfriend wouldn't eat it - and he would normally attack anything I bake. Trying to find the silver lining in the baking disaster, I decided to make french toast. Also, who doesn't like baked french toast on a Sunday morning for breakfast? Heck, I even ate some for lunch and dinner. :)



Adapted from Pioneer Woman's French Toast
*challah bread makes the best french toast, but any kind of bread would do

  • 1 challah bread (I used my cinnamon sugar challah)
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups whole milk (Skim is fine but won't be as rich)
  • 2/3 cups sugar
  • 2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (I like dark brown sugar - has more taste)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, sliced into pieces

  1. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Tear bread into chunks and evenly distribute in the pan.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla extract. Pour it over the bread and toss, so that all the pieces of bread are coated evenly. Cover the pan with foil and keep it in the refrigerator overnight. If you're on a time crunch, at least 2 hours.
  3. In another bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add the butter. You can use a pastry cutter, if you have one, to combine the dry ingredients with the butter. It should look like little pebbles or sand when finished. I just used my hands to mesh them together. (Since it's hot out, it might turn out to be more of a paste instead of grainy sand since the butter doesn't stay its form, which is fine too). Place it in a doggie bag and keep it in the refrigerator until you bake the french toast.
  4. When you're ready to bake, preheat the over to 350. Take the bread and brown sugar mixture out. Toss the pieces of bread again so that the egg/milk mixture doesn't sit on the bottom. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the top. Bake for 45-55 minutes. 
Enjoy and don't forget to drizzle (or in my case, douse) it in maple syrup!

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Hmmm...it looks complicated and I don't know if it would be good with good ol' white bread, but it looks interesting...dying to taste it!

    Neysa said...

    Hi!

    I'm sure it'll work well with white bread. Actually, Pioneer Woman's recipe used white bread. I'm sure any kind of bread would be good!