Monday, August 8, 2011

Apple Crisp à la Mode, Please!


Sorry guys for the delayed posts! I've been so busy at work and planning my vacation to ... MEXICO! Woot woot! Woot woot! I'll tell you more on that later *wink

Having baked 10 apple pies for the Boston Pie Experiment until 2am, I was baked out by that following Sunday afternoon after the event. Luckily, I have a very sweet special man in my life who surprised me  with a bouquet of flowers, including the beautiful sunflower pictured above to cheer me up. *All together please, "awwwwwwwww"

As much fun as it was, it was exhausting! Imagine, mixing up 20 pie crusts, rolling out 20 pie crusts, peeling/coring/slicing 60 apples ...... I hereby declare, on oath, that I will not bake another apple pie for the rest of 2011 to maintain the my own sanity, unless there is a life and death emergency, so help me God. Even though it was all over, I was still haunted by the leftover apples that were sitting in my fridge. I had to figure out what to do with them - to get rid of my nightmares. :) Since pie was out of the question, an easy delicious apple crisp, it will have to be! 



What makes a good apple crisp is doubling up on the crisp, of course! That's the only way one can have it. Soft slices of apples, drenched in cinnamon-nutmeg goodness topped with a crispy, oat filled crunch - mmm mmmm, who can resist that?? Normally, it's done with only granny smith apples but I swapped half for golden delicious apples. It doesn't necessarily keep its shape like the granny smith, but it does add a bit of a natural sweetness, which I like. Mm, bite of tart granny smith, bite of sweet golden delicious and a (big) bite of crunchy oats.


Adapted from Apple Crisp from Allrecipes
  • 10 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp  cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
 
  • 2 cup oats (I used old-fashion oats for a crispier/chewier crisp)
  • 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup butter, melted

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. In a bowl, toss the sliced apples, white sugar, 1 tbsp flour, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Arrange them neatly in a 9x13 glass pan. 
  3. Combine the oats,  flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes. 
  5. Let cool and enjoy with a BIG heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream. 




No comments: