Monday, July 11, 2011

A Cup(cake) of Earl Grey Tea


Hi everyone!
This is the very first post. I'm not sure what to say but here's goes nothing. 


I've gotten into this habit of baking random goodies for my coworkers at work and now, whenever the weekend hits, I automatically feel an urge to bake. Deciding on what I should bake next, thus becoming the feature of my first post, was difficult to say the least. I love pies - a taste of home. I love cupcakes too - the perfect portion of cake and frosting, not to mention how cute they look. I adore cookies and can gobble up a dozen in no time. I had a request from a coworker for chocolate earl grey truffles. Feeling it may be too deliciously intense first thing in the morning, I thought I would do a vanilla cupcake with chocolate earl grey frosting. 


And thus, the journey for this post begins...





Mmmmm soft simple vanilla cake with a rich chocolate frosting with hints of fragrant earl grey ... what else would you want on a beautiful Sunday afternoon? 


The frosting is wicked easy to make and is super versatile. I swear by this basic rich chocolate frosting. It tastes like a creamy chocolate milk. 


Chocolate Earl Grey Frosting
  • 1 cup of softened unsalted butter
  • 2 1/2 cups of cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of milk 
  • 9 bags of earl grey teabags
  • 4 cups of powdered sugar


1. Steam the milk and then take it off the stove. Steep the 9 earl grey teabags for 10 minutes while the milk cools. 


2 .Cream the butter until it's nice and fluffy. Slowly add in the cocoa powder and milk, alternating each one. Add the vanilla extract and  then the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until you get the desired consistency.


3. Now, take your prepared cupcakes and frost them! (Or,  if you're me, just lick the frosting by the spoonful!)
**For variations, use mint tea or lavender tea or substitute the vanilla extract with espresso




Luckily for me, my boyfriend had created a mini impromptu dinner party at our friend's house. Being the fancy schmancy chef that he is, he quickly threw together an amazing fresh scallop and shrimp ceviche and Spanish omelet. Mmmm yum! For those of you who don't know what ceviche is, it's a Mexican seafood dish made with raw fish marinated in fresh lime juice tossed with summery crunchy vegetables! 




Tortilla chips, ceviche, cupcakes - the PERFECT Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is just as sweet as you!Mmmmm I wish I got to try these delicious looking cup(cakes)!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Ceviche? Love it. Those cupcakes look like something out of a magazine and I bet they taste incredible.